When we met Lila and Hank, he had a beard. A respectable, well-tended beard. According to Lila, he usually has a beard, only shaving it for special occasions. Otherwise, he's always bearded. Hank says that at the time we'd all met he had just decided that because it had been a while since they'd met anyone "special," he was just going to grow out his beard for the hell of it. After everything happened and the four of us fell in love, he decided it was his lucky beard and that he was going to grow it out even more.
His beard grew and grew over the months. We joked that he looked like a gold prospector (There's gold in them thar hills!)
Lila and Steven had a beef with the beard. Lila preferred Hank clean shaven in general. Steven loves Hank, but can't seem to be attracted to his face with fur all over it. Every chance they got, they teamed up to rip on Hanks poor scruffy jaw.
I was there when Hank shaved his beard, deciding that since it had been two weeks (he'd marked it on the calendar) since anyone had made any snide remarks, it was time. I was peeking around the bathroom doorjamb, scared to see the end results. Not just the aesthetic ones... but the the other less tangible ones. His beard came off in tough chunks like wool in the metalic teeth of the electric razor. Dense clumps of wirey auburn hair, fell softly and made what I called "beard bunnies" in the sink. His eyes were surprised at what had been happening underneath since the last time. The last time being over two years ago, long before I met him.
He wears a beard as a sort of a mask, and it's been okay with me. He always told me that he doesn't like his face, doesn't like his chin, and would prefer to keep it hidden. It's been okay with me, but I've always been curious. Always hoped that one day he'd let me see.
I love to run my fingers through Hank's beard. I love to take a handful at his jawbone and lightly tug. I like to skritch his chin. I love Hank in a beard, don't get me wrong (and I'm terrified that he will), but to see his face is such a gift to me. I cried to see him smile. He has creases in his cheeks I had no idea existed. He has a cleft in his chin and a jawline begging for kisses. I have a hard time thinking about seeing his face go away again, but then again... he is really cute in his beard.
No comments:
Post a Comment